Not having a baby is a painful experience which many couples go through. About 15-20% of the married couples in the reproductive age group are infertile in India. Infertility is increasing in India, the major causes of infertility in India is due to urbanization, pollution, stress, chemical exposure, competitiveness, career preference etc.
Causes of Infertility
If you are not able to conceive naturally it can be due a problem in you or your partner. Your doctor will recommend some fertility tests in a basic infertility evaluation. These tests are generally done over the course of one menstrual cycle or approximately one month.
The common reasons that lead to fertility problems are:
- Problem in Ovulation.
- Disease or defect in fallopian tube (tubal infertility).
- Sperm problems such as azoospermia, oligospermia.
- Certain diseases such as severe endomeriosis, pelvic inflammatory disease with severe adhesion.
- Premature Menopause (infertility due to female age problems).
- Issues with the ovum–egg quantity or quality issues.
- Unexplained infertility.
Certain other causes of infertility are:
- Uterine problems and diseases
- Failure of Vasectomy/ Tubectomy reversal surgery
- Genetic conditions or diseases or immunological problems
What are the Treatments of female infertility and male infertility?
Advances in modern medicine have made it possible for couples with fertility problems
longing for a baby to realize their dream. Your doctor will take a detailed history from both of you, do clinical examination and recommend tests as required. Depending on your history and findings of clinical examination and investigations your doctor will recommend treatment options. Most of the treatment options available in India for treatment of infertility are world class and are done at very competitive rates as compared to the developed countries. This has prompted many couples from abroad to seek treatment for fertility related issues in India.
The different modes of treatment that are offered in India include:
- Intra Uterine Insemination – IUI
- In vitro fertilization – IVF
- Intracytoplasmic sperm injection – ICSI
- Assisted hatching
- IVF with blastocyst transfer
- Donor sperm insemination
- Egg donation – IVF using donor eggs
- Laparoscopy for infertility
- Hysteroscopy for infertility
- Induction of ovulation for infertility
- Ovarian stimulation
- Tubal surgery for damaged or blocked fallopian tube