Being thin isn’t always a great feeling! We mostly talk about weight loss issues, but there are also lean people in this world who genuinely want to gain a few kilos. It is as challenging as shedding extra pounds. Well, there are as many nick names for skinny people as for fatty ones. You must have called your skinny buddies with these names – skeletal, matchstick, hanger, undernourished – or you might have heard them from your friends! It surely gives a feeling of embarrassment to the hearer.
It is good to be slim but being skinny is troublesome. Are you worried about your weight and want to put on some pounds? Don’t worry! Here is a list of foods that may add up to extra kilos on your body, making you look healthy and fit.
Home Remedies for Weight Gain
1. Banana and Milk
Bananas are full of calories and contain high amount of carbohydrates and potassium that give you instant energy. Whosoever want to gain weight must eat a banana daily in the morning with a glass of warm milk. Add a teaspoon of sugar in it. Moreover, you can also have it after your meals.
Note – Don’t eat bananas when you are down with common cold.
2. Peanut Butter
Peanut butter is a yummy spread for toast and bread. If you’re trying to gain weight, feel free to go for this high-calorie and nutritious food. Apply it on your whole wheat bread for breakfast and see how your weight increases within a short period of time.
- Besides, you can spread a spoonful of peanut butter on fruits or vegetables like banana, apple slices, fresh berries, wheat germ or applesauce.
- Alternatively, a peanut butter sandwich is also a good choice.
If you are fond of eating crunchy snacks like peanuts, almonds, cashews, walnuts, raisins and figs, they will definitely help you gain weight. They are full of fats, fibers, vitamins and minerals, and also contain essential oils which enable a thin person to put on some kilos.
- Chomp on a handful of nuts every day to increase your body weight.
- Add 3 almonds, 2 dates and 1 dried fig to a glass of milk and boil it. Drink this for a month to witness a significant amount of weight gain.
- Alternatively, soak 6 dried figs and about 30 grams of raisins in water overnight. Eat them in two parts.
Potatoes are crammed with carbohydrates. All forms of this stuffy food have major impact on weight gain. You can grill or bake potatoes with butter. People who eat potato chips and French fries tend to gain weight faster. Make French fries using extra virgin oil, if you like them.
- Moreover, you can also make a delicious potato salad. Peel and slice potato. Boil them and mix them with the high calorie ingredients like buttermilk, mayonnaise, and veggies.
Note – If you eat French fries regularly, limit your potato consumption to twice a week.
5. Sugar Sweetened Beverages and Smoothies
Having sugary smoothies and beverages is another delicious way to intake calories. It aids gain weight, in a healthy manner, as they are packed with nutritious ingredients.
- Make smoothie with any of your favorite fruit, add a bit of frozen yogurt and ice cubes. Then, add some sugar to it.
- Sweetened teas, blended coffee drinks, fruit juices, energy and sports drinks, etc are also good choices. The superfluous calories found in these drinks can increase your body weight.
- Fresh pomegranate juice mixed with one tablespoon of honey and a bit of rock salt increases appetite.
- Drink coconut milk daily, as it is full of healthy fats and is very nutritious.
6. Afternoon Nap
Midday sleep plays a crucial role in gaining weight. Take a nap of about 45 minutes to 1 hour, post afternoon meal or lunch.
Regular workout boosts up your metabolism and stimulates your appetite that will automatically increase your intake of food. Being skinny doesn’t mean that you have to stay away from exercising. It is very important to complement your diet with some regular exercises.
- You can do light aerobic, stretching, strength training and cardiovascular exercises. Brisk walking, cycling, dancing, swimming, etc., will also aid weight gain.
- Various yoga poses can give you a balanced body mass.
- Supervision of a trainer is mandatory.
- Eating peanut butter before exercising is also beneficial.
- Don’t perform excessive workouts; just focus on growth of muscles.
8. Clarified Butter (Ghee) and Sugar
Mix clarified butter and sugar in equal proportion (around 1 tbsp of each). Eat this mix at least 30 minutes before your meal on an empty stomach. Consume it for one month. You will definitely see dramatic results.
Beans are rich sources of fiber, protein and carbohydrates. These are one of the best calorie-dense foods that helps put on weight. Beans can be eaten as a snack or can be included in breakfast, lunch or dinner. There are several varieties of beans like red beans, black beans, soy beans, lima beans, lentils, and kidney beans. Alternatively, you can also prepare bean soup or bean salad. For quick results, eat them daily for one or two months.
Eggs contain a good amount of fat, calories, and protein which are popular ingredients for weight gain. Consuming egg whites everyday can give you strong muscles and essential protein and energy. For better results, eat more of the egg white than the yolk, as the former increases your cholesterol level.
- Alternatively, you can also eat egg-white omelettes or scrambled egg whites daily in breakfast.
Note – Do not eat raw eggs; they may cause serious health problems.
11. Marvelous Mangoes
Mango is a mouth-watering juicy fruit rich in vitamins and minerals. But eating mangoes alone will not help. You need to consume them along with milk. You can also prepare mango milkshake and drink it two times daily for a month.
12. Noodles and Pasta
Noodles and pasta are rich in calories and have high amount of carbohydrates. They are easy to make and also saves cooking time. If you are a non-vegetarian, you can also add lean chicken and a lot of vegetables to the noodles and pasta that will convert it into a high calorie and nutritious food and provide you essential minerals and proteins.
13. Whole Grains
Whole grains include brown rice, oats, cereals, wheat, etc., which are the powerhouses of diverse nutrients. Oats, plain or brown rice are good sources of complex carbohydrates and help build your muscles. On the other hand, cereals are a high calorie food. They must be consumed as morning meal.
- Brown rice can be a filling food because of its fiber, carbohydrates and protein content. If you are planning for a healthy weight gain, then combine rice with some other nutrient and calorie-dense foods. Instead of water, cook them in broth or milk. You may also add butter or cheese over the top. Starchy vegetables and dried fruits can be mixed.
- Even though oatmeal is regarded as a weight-loss food, but it also aids weight-gain when combined with whole milk. One full bowl of oats can add necessary nutrition to the body, as it is rich in fiber and nutrients. You can prepare oatmeal with milk. Serve it with honey and toppings of handful of nuts, dried fruits, and other mix-ins to ramp up your weight.
14. Whole Wheat Bread
Whole-wheat breads are well-off in fiber and help you feel fuller for long. It also gives you sustained oomph which keeps your diet on track. For putting on pounds, spread some peanut butter or honey on whole wheat breads to add calories. Moreover, nutritionists also say that eating healthy bread is a great way to start weight gain. On the other hand, white bread lacks the essential minerals and is not healthy for your body.
Stress is one of the main reasons that may cause severe weight loss. So, if you are facing a stressful situation in your life, then you must begin with yoga or meditation classes, in order to de-stress your body.
16. Lean Red Meat
If you are trying to gain some pounds, eat some lean red meat. Steak contains a lot of protein and iron. Foods like ground beef, pork chops can also be eaten.
Cheese comes in many delicious varieties, so you can pair it with your favorite dish. It has all the nutritional benefits of milk products. Most of the cheese varieties contain high amount of fat, which is beneficial for those people who are trying to gain weight. One serving of cheese can add 69 calories, as it is made from concentrated milk that provides proteins, calcium, cholesterol and fat to the body.
- You can also try goat cheese with eggs and Parmesan on top of asparagus.
Soybeans are jam-packed with high calories, proteins, calcium, fiber, vitamin B and iron. It is enormously delicious and nutty. It holds all the amino acids, which a human body cannot produce, so it is considered to be a complete protein element. However, soybeans are beneficial for both people who either want to lose or gain weight.
The quantity of sugar, fat and protein impacts your weight greatly. Since yogurt is a high-protein food, one feels fuller for long. Fruit based yogurt is said to have 118 calories, consume it in your daily diet for increased weight. You can also try Greek yogurt, as it contains double protein and has very yummy savor.
20. Crackers and Bagels
Bagels and Crackers are made from whole wheat; sesame and bran that add some kilos to your body. Besides, they also provide necessary carbohydrates. You can use jams, peanut butter, margarine or honey to eat loads of calories and proteins. They will increase a significant amount of weight.
This yummy and delicious green vegetable is an excellent source to add heart-healthy fats to your diet. It contains high levels of potassium, folic acid, and vitamin E. One half of an avocado holds 140 calories. Enjoy this veggie by adding it to your salads. You may also grill them on your meats, or even spread on a toast.
- Alternatively, mash half a ripe avocado on top of bread and flavor it with some salt and pepper.
22. Natural Granola
A bowl of granola can make your breakfast delicious. It provides 500 calories, since it has enough nuts, oats, sugar and healthy fats which are sufficient for increasing body weight. To make it tastier, add some fruits, thick yogurt and drizzle it with honey.
Herbal Remedies for Weight Gain
Gentian is a root used to increase appetite and helps absorb the food more effectively. It contains glycosides and amarogentin that stimulates hunger pangs. It’s a bitter herb that also increases the production of saliva.
24. Withania Somnifera (Ashwagandha) Powder
Ashwagandha is a short woody shrub that belongs to the Solanaceae family. The powder is obtained from its roots. Take 1 glass of warm milk and add 2 tablespoons of ashwagandha powder to it. Then, mix one teaspoon of clarified butter (ghee). Stir it well and drink two times a day. Do this for one month.
25. Chamomile and Peppermint Tea
Chamomile possesses antispasmodic properties and is also a great remedy for digestion related problems such as gas, dyspepsia and indigestion. It stimulates appetite which, in turn, enables one to put on weight by eating more. Drink chamomile tea on a regular basis for quick results. Peppermint tea also works wonders.
Ginger is of great help when it comes to poor appetite. It warms up the digestive track, thereby increasing the flow of blood and boosting the hunger. You can either sip a cup of ginger tea daily or suck on ginger pieces.
27. Dandelion Root
Though this herb is bitter, but it leads to incredible increase in weight. It stimulates digestion and enhances hunger pangs. Due to the presence of potassium, iron, zinc, vitamins C, D, A and B complex, pregnant women can also ingest this.
28. Chen Pi
It is a dried citrus peel supplement that triggers the appetite and boost up the natural gastric secretions of the body, hence, help you put on weight.
- Drink 8 glasses of water every day to keep yourself hydrated.
- Eat healthy calorie foods like sweets, chocolates, ice-cream, and cakes that are rich in calories, moderately.
- Cook food in healthy oils and fats.
- Consume more dairy fats like milk and cheese.
- Never eat fruits on an empty stomach, as it will shed your weight.
- Avoid fluids before lunch because they lessen your appetite.
- Quit smoking, as it may cause weight loss.
- Refrain from performing excess physical work.