You want your penis skin to be soft and supple, but instead it looks and feels dry. The skin may look bumpy, red, flaky, or peeling. It could even be painful when you touch it. What are the causes of dry penis skin and what can you do about it?
Causes Of Dry Penis Skin
- The main cause of having dry skin on your penis is masturbating too roughly, too often, or without enough lubricant.
- Having intercourse for long sessions without proper lubrication can also lead to dry penis skin.
- Certain soaps may also dry out your skin.
- Taking long baths can do it too.
- If you’re allergic to latex and use condoms this could also cause a problem.
In all of these instances, the natural oils on the skin of your penis have been stripped away, making it dry and irritated.
Treating common causes of dry penis skin is easy enough. Simply follow the steps below and you should notice the skin becoming softer and better looking within a few days.
- Avoid having sex or masturbating for at least 24 hours.
- Wash your penis with warm water and a mild soap such as Ivory or Dove. These are both recommended by dermatologists.
- Gently dry your penis with a clean towel. Pat it dry, don’t rub or pull on it.
- Apply a moisturizing cream or oil, gently massaging it into your skin. Do this for at least a week. If you always have trouble with dry penis skin then simply apply moisturizer or oil daily.
- You can also take a vitamin E capsule, poke a hole in it with a needle, squeeze out the oil and apply that to your penis as well. It’s very thick and lasts a long time. Vitamin E is great for helping to soothe irritated skin and helping cells to rebuild themselves.
- Try using laundry soaps and body soaps that are gentle, fragrance-free and dye-free.
- Avoid spraying deodorant or cologne on your genital area.
- Use condoms made of polyurethane if you suspect you’re allergic to latex.
- Use enough lubrication when having intercourse and masturbating. Stop to reapply it if you start feeling friction.
If none of these methods work or you keep having problems with dry skin on your penis, you may have psoriasis, dermatitis, or another condition. Your doctor can take a look at it and recommend a prescription strength ointment or other remedy that can help take care of the problem.